When you record video footage on an AVCHD digital camcorder, the captured footage appears as an MTS video file, a format most media players and video-editing programs don’t recognize. If you want to use the MTS files with computer applications or transfer to a portable device, you may want to convert MTS file to an AVI video, which is compatible with a majority of online and device video players.
To convert MTS to AVI, you can download some recommended free application such as “Format Factory”, “M2TS to AVI MP4 DVD Converter”, etc. However, many users from CNET complained that when attempting to use those free applications, they encounter the following problems:
– Do not compatible with Windows Vista
– Converted files not work on Windows Media Player
– Converted file size is pretty large
– Difficult to download and unable to install
It’s really hard for any freeware to meet all your needs perfectly. However, Video Converter, a shareware published by Jihosoft, really goes above and beyond with powerful conversion functions, impressive video customization tools and distinctive editing features. Main functions of this MTS to AVI Converter:
– Batch import multiple MTS files to convert
– Convert MTS files to AVI with various different codecs including Xvid, Divx, DV, YUY2, RGB, MJPEG, and more
– Customize output profile parameters to reset output video encoder, resolution, bitrate, frame rate and audio encoder, sample rate, bitrate, channel
– Versatile video editing tools to trim video length, crop video size, adjust video effect, add text/image watermark to video, etc
Note: You can either download Jihosoft Video Converter or Jihosoft Video Converter for Mac according to your computer operating system. Here we will take the Mac version to go through the conversion process.
1. Install and start Jihosoft Video Converter on your computer.
2. Hit “Import” icon to load MTS files from local computer to the application.
3. Select output file format such as “Xvid AVI-Audio Video Interleaved (Xvid)(*.avi)” from “Profile” drop-down menu.
4. Click right-bottom round “Start” icon to begin the conversion.