How to Transfer WhatsApp Messages between Android and iPhone?
As new flagships keep pouring out one after another, like the iPhone X, Samsung Galaxy S9, Huawei P20, OnePlus 6 and etc, it is quite usual for smartphone users to switch to a new phone from time to time. Though getting a new phone is really delightful, many people agonisingly find it a huge headache to transfer WhatsApp messages from the old phone to the new one, especially if the two phones are running different operating systems. So, in the following article, we will show you some suggestions about how to transfer WhatsApp chat history from Android to iPhone and transfer iPhone WhatsApp messages to Android in an easy and fast way.
Method 1. Using WhatsApp Transfer Software
Jihosoft WhatsMate is an all-in-one WhatsApp toolkit that can help you transfer WhatsApp messages, contacts, call history between Android and iPhone without limitation. Besides the transfer function, this tool can also be used to recover, backup and restore WhatsApp data on both Android and iPhone devices.
- Step1. Install and launch WhatsMate on your Windows computer.
- Step2. Connect both your Android and iPhone to PC via USB cables. Then follow the on-screen hints to make your phones be recognized by the program.
- Step3. The program will set the Android phone as the source device by default in order to let you transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to iPhone. You can also hit the “Flip” button to set the iPhone as the source phone and transfer WhatsApp data from iPhone to Android.
- Step 4. Once both phones are connected successfully, under the source phone you will have the options to select chat history, contacts and calls to transfer. After selection, click the “Transfer” button and the program will start to copy WhatsApp messages from Android to iPhone. When it finishes, all your old WhatsApp messages and media will be shown in the WhatsApp messenger running on your new phone.
- This is a paid software, but it enables you to backup WhatsApp data to computer freely. What’s more, you can use this tool to print out Android/iPhone WhatsApp messages and photos as they appear on your phone.
- Make sure USB debugging is turned on when you are connecting your Android phone to the computer.
- If your iPhone can’t be identified by the program, please install the latest iTunes on your PC first.
- Remember not to disconnect your phones during the transfer progress, otherwise data loss accident may occur on your phones.
Method 2. Using Email to Move WhatsApp Chat History
If you just simply want to view and read your old WhatsApp chat history on the new phone, this simple trick must be your best bet to export WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone, or from iPhone to Android. With this method, you don’t need to have a computer or use any third-party software. What you need to have is an email address, and follow the steps below to move your WhatsApp chat history from iPhone to Android, and vice verse.
- Step 1. Find “Settings” at WhatsApp from your old device, click “Chat settings”, then click “Email chat” from the showing list.
- Step 2. Choose the WhatsApp history that you want to transfer. A window will pop out saying that “Attaching Media will generate a larger email message”. Click “Without Media” or “Attach Media” according to your needs.
- Step 3. Type your email address at the sending interface and mail your WhatsApp chat history in .txt format by clicking “Send”.
- Step 4. Log in your email on your new device, now you can download and view the WhatsApp messages on your new phone.
- It is not suitable for massive transfer of WhatsApp data, since it is a very troublesome thing to email messages from contacts one by one.
- Regrettably, those WhatsApp messages and media can only be readable on your new phone and you can’t restore them back to your WhatsApp application. If you want your old WhatsApp history seamlessly merge with the history on the new phone, you should apply to the Method 1.
Method 3. Using Backup File to Transfer iPhone WhatsApp to Android
This method involves two different tools. One is iPhone Backup Browser, and the other is WazzapMigrator app. This method has more steps and the process seems a little complex, so please follow the instructions below carefully.
- Step 1. Use iTunes to create a complete backup of your iPhone on the computer, and please remember to disable Backup Encryption in iTunes.
- Step 2: On the computer, install and launch the iPhone Backup Browser, and let it load your iTunes backup file.
- Step 3. Click on the (-) sign until you find the net.whatsapp.WhatsApp folder. Under this folder, find and extract a file named ChatStorage.sqlite which stores all the WhatsApp text conversations. For media backup, you should extract all the files under the Library/Media section.
- Step 4. Then move the extracted files from your computer to Android’s internal memory.
- Step 5. Download and run WazzapMigrator on your Android phone. After it automatically detects backup on your Android, you can browse for the text and media folders.
- Step 6. After getting the stuff done, tap the “Play” button to let the app do the rest for you.
- Step 7. Finally, you just simply install WhatsApp on your Android and restore the local backup that created by the WazzapMigrator in the previous step.
- This method can only be used for transferring WhatsApp messages from iPhone to Android.
- The free version of iPhone Backup Browser only allows you to pull texts from iPhone backup. If you want to extract media, you should purchase the full version at $2.99.
Conclusion: This article introduces three different methods on how to transfer Whats App history between Android and iPhone. You can choose your way according to your own situation. Good luck on transferring your WhatsApp message.